This morning I woke up and read an article that came out of Colorado’s local news WZZM13. The Article, “Doctors Claim first Marijuana Overdose Death.”
The Article goes over a case where a 11 month old child ingests a cannabis edible and several days later has a seizure and eventually dies of myocarditis (inflammation of the heart). Two of the poison control doctors (Dr.Nappe and Dr. Hoyte) are claiming that it was the THC in the baby’s system that caused the myocarditis because it was the only thing in the baby’s system.
It should also be noted that in the article it is also pointed out that, “Myocarditis has a long list of other known causes, mostly from infections by bacteria, viruses, fungi, and parasites.” (WZZM13)
When “9NEWS spoke to multiple ER doctors and medical researchers for this story. Many praised the Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center as a top-tier institution for researching the issue, but none accepted this case as bulletproof evidence of a marijuana overdose death.” So in reality it seems that the doctors claiming that THC caused this child’s death are making a very bold claim without being able to prove their claim just that it may have or might have caused myocarditis. Is this how medical and scientific study is done now? I think it is, therefor it must be? How about empirical evidence? In the video interview the reported said that doctors can say how cannabis could cause myocarditis. Instead of this really bold claim; how about you submit for peer review before making such an audacious claim.
I think that overall I am on the side of Dr. Kaufman who said, “I’m going to have to call ‘BS’ on this one,” Kaufman said. “I’m not saying that it’s not. But I think it’s a pretty big leap to say that it is.”
I would like to bring up O’Shaughnessy medical study of cannabis in 1839 when he administered a high does of cannabis tincture to a female child 40 days old eventually giving this baby 130 drop equal to 15 grain of resin for several days to control convulsions . (1 grain equals 0.064 grams) making 15 grains about 1 gram of pure cannabis resin. To give an idea of dose O’Shaughnessy noted that 10 drops of this same tincture was enough to intoxicate medical students who experimented with the tincture. I bring up this medical study to show the amount of a high dose has been historically administered to infant children. Making me seriously doubt the validity of the doctors who claim cannabis killed an 11 month old boy.
I plan on doing some more research on this article and topic. I just wanted to get my reaction out there for people to see. Make sure to read the original article from WZZM 13, so you get the full context of this story. Also if you have not read O’Shaughnessy, “On Preparations of the Indian Hemp, or Gunjah” from 1839 you are also really missing out.
“Spread Cannabis Knowledge!”